Thursday, June 04, 2009

garden update

The garden is thriving!







Almost everything is growing well. The sweet peppers and eggplant seeds I planted sprouted long ago but seemed to have stopped growing. I think I am much too impatient to plant from seed. Next year I might just do all seedlings. It just costs so much more!

The lettuces and spinach are passed their prime. Apparentaly, they are a "cold weather crop" and I should have planted them in February. We didn't get to eat much before they turned bitter. This garden is a learning experience for sure!

The sugar snap peas are the only thing (aside from herbs) that we have been able to eat from the garden so far. They are so good! If I buy sugar snap peas at the store the kids want nothing to do with them but if they get to pick it off a vine in our backyard they are begging to eat them. Can't complain though I guess. As you can see, the yellow squash and the cucumbers are flowering so hopefully we will be able to eat that stuff soon too.

3 comments:

merathon said...

JEALOUS! (i guess i can't really be jealous since i could have gotten off my butt and built my own garden, but didn't!)

Stephanie Collins said...

How fun!!

Andi said...

It looks awesome! My Liam was totally the same way with the peas last year.