I fell in love with this house seen on a friends blog:

We really liked the dark blue color but felt that we didn't have as much white trim to brighten it up. Our house would look too dark and heavy. So we went with our old stand-by, a cool gray blue.
Before and during the process of having the house painted, I would tell people what colors we were planning and the response I got most often was "Huh, interesting". Except for my friend Heather, she said, "that sounds just like a picture I tore out of a magazine". She kindly scanned it and emailed it to me.
I am so glad she did! It provided the inspiration for the exterior lights and the trees.
It is hard to find cool exterior lights. At Lowes I found a cheap $20 version of the lights that Martha Stewart used (hers were $100). But we decided the the galvanized steel of the lights blended in with the house too much so we painted them black with rust proof exterior paint. Perfect!
I got the trees and the planter boxes at Ikea. By the way, I am loving having an Ikea in my city!
We also purchased house numbers like the one in the MS photo but in a near black color so they will stand out against the house color. Michael will be installing them soon.
I still smile whenever I pull out the driveway and Michael has even grown to love the yellow door now too. I knew he would!
*Notice how similar the doors from both pictures are? I wish I had a door with windows like that! Why is it that all the doors with windows at the home improvement stores are elaborate pieced glass flowery monstrosities? Where are all the simple, nicely designed doors at a decent price??


4 comments:
sigh. I love your talents. (Like knowing that your house would look awesome with a yellow door. And having the guts to do it.)
Our front door looks like the first picture and Jon says he got it at Stock Building Supply. You know, just in case you decide to replace your newly painted front door. :)
I love all the things you picked out. It's cool to see them used in different ways and styles since we have the same house numbers and lights. I really like what you've done with them!
Wow! What else can I say? You have impeccable taste Erin! Would you mind taking a look at my home and showing me the possibilities. You know, in your spare time:)
I have NO vision, and I'm indecisive (as you well know). Plus I inherited that "I have a kitchen sink that holds dishes, why should I replace it" mentality. Yet, I think I could overcome that if I had some vision of how beautiful my home could be. I would love to look at my home and get those happy feelings you are enjoying.
Okay, if we end up living here for longer than we ever planned, I may need to surrender myself to living in this house and fix it up more to my tastes. I guess I'll just have to fly you out here to get it right. :)
Post a Comment