Thursday, May 22, 2008

preschool graduation


Today was Liam's preschool graduation. Michael abides by Mr. Incredible's theory:

Bob Parr: It's not a graduation. He's moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.

Helen Parr: It's a ceremony.

Bob Parr: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity.


I tend to agree with him. It was completely over the top and unnecessary but... really adorable too.

The kids walked in with Pomp and Circumstance playing. Then they sang a bunch of songs they had learned throughout the year. Before they were given their diplomas, the teacher, Mary Beth, said what that child's parents thought he would be when he grew up (they asked us in advance) and then what she, the teacher, thought that child would be and lastly what the child himself thought he would be when he grew up. Michael and I thought Liam would be an architect. His teachers thought he would be a police man because of his knowledge and enforcement of rules (if only he would follow rules at home!). And Liam said that he would be Darth Mawl when he grew up. It was pretty cute and everyone laughed. Almost every other kid there wanted to be a fireman or a policeman. I think Liam must have been a little embarrassed though because he is now insisting that he will be a "scientist of planets" instead of Darth Mawl.

After the "ceremony" there was a picnic at a nearby park. Liam had a great time playing with his classmates outside of school.

When it was time to leave he was saying goodbye to his two girlfriends (he tells me he can't decide which one to marry) I swear tears were almost shed! They kept hugging and saying how much they were going to miss each other. One of the girls even kissed Liam!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What about Darth Maul?!?

Erin said...

bryan- i completely forgot about the darth mawl part when i was writing this. i have edited the post to include the whole story! enjoy!

Audrey said...

hi guys! sorry i'm so bad about leaving comments...but couldn't pass this up... Liam looks so handsome in his grad. pics. what a beautiful family you guys have.

granma and papa said...

I think Darth Mawl would be great, but scientist of planets is interesting, maybe he will go to Mars!

Love the graduation pictures, he is so proud and so very wonderful, but I'm with Michael and Bob on this one....wish we could have been there for this

#A5 said...

oh, i love it! congratulations to liam! i have clear memories of my own pre-school graduation (white cap and gowns and all) and it felt pretty good. totally unnecessary, maybe, but i still love it.

Unknown said...

Congarts to Liam! That is such a cute story! Love it! He is adorable in his cap and gown! What fun "Dress up" play outfit to have now. :) Your awesome Erin. I havn't been very good at commenting lately but I love your blog!