The flight home was sheer hell. It all started with a kind of missed 6 am flight. We were cutting it close on time but a series of small events pushed us just passed the 45 minute cut off time. I was told to call Delta and rebook our flight. The earliest flight we could get on was at noon with a 30 minute lay-over in Cincinnati. They wanted me to pay $639 to book me and the kids on that flight. I was pretty outraged. I had never heard of the airline charging you if you had missed you flight. So naturally, I start crying and saying things like: "I already paid $1200 I am not giving you any more money" and "I am traveling by myself with two small children and I just want to go home!" The man at the call center very kindly 'put his job at risk' and waved the fees (which I appreciated greatly). With the new flights booked we went back to my parents house and napped.
When we woke up we saw that a storm was brewin'. By the time we get to the airport it is pouring but planes are still taking off so I wasn't too worried. My brother-in-law Wayne works at the airport and he got us through security by way of the employee line- it was so fast. Then he walked us to the gate and waited until it was time to board and helped us down the gangway. It was so nice having help. He was a lifesaver!
We got settled on the plane and pull away from the gate. I was so excited to be going home. Alas, it was not to be. We sat on the plan for TWO HOURS before we took off. After the first hour Sutton was totally loosing it. I was trying to not loose it (I failed, tears were shed). We couldn't get off the plane. We were totally stuck.
Obviously, we missed our connecting flight in Cincinnati. We ended up spending the night in a nasty hotel that I had to pay $60 for. I am not sure I got any sleep that night.
The next morning we were scheduled for a 8 am flight. Everything was going very smoothly until about half way through the flight Liam started puking. I felt so bad for him. At the time, I thought it was air sickness but since we have been home he has been sick out of both ends and has had a fever.
I suppose it didn't help that we came home to this:
For the last week we have been washing dishes in the bathroom sink and eating frozen dinners. The last three nights Michael and I have been working until 2 am trying to put the kitchen together. Even with all that (and a sick kid) I am still glad to be home and not on an airplane!

8 comments:
holy cow erin, that stinks. glad you are home safe and you a rock star mom for braving the trip home with two little ones in tow!
WOW! I am so sorry Erin...we hope Liam is feeling better soon and you get back to a regular routine! You are an awesome mom!
Oh Erin I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm glad you're back now :) We would love to have Liam stay the night one night with Tyler when he feels better! Just gimmie a call!! XOXO
Erin, I've been dreading my flight to CA next week. I'm really excited to be in CA but getting there and back is totally stressing me out because I've heard many stories like yours this summer! Glad your home and hopfully getting your kitchen put together. Hope to see you if you make a trip to DC.
oh my my my. I almost started crying for you when I read all that. I am glad you are home, I was growing tired of looking at that tomato.
yikes! worst mom-flying-alone-with-multiple-kids story i've heard. ever.
glad you're back and hoping you're not too scarred from the trip.
Holy cow! Flying is such a complete nightmare anymore. I'm really glad you made it. Sounds like you held it together much better than I would've. Good luck with the kitchen!
Thanks for all the sympathy! It's good to be home and loved!
Post a Comment