Monday, March 09, 2009

hiking

It was a GORGEOUS on Saturday! We took the family on a little hike. We took this trail up: Pinnacle Trail: blazed in orange circles - this strenuous 1.7 mile (one-way) trail begins at the Visitor Center and ends at the summit, highest point at 1,705 feet. We took this trail back: Backside Trail: blazed in orange hexagons - A strenuous, .9 mile (one-way) trail that starts at the Visitor Center and ends at the summit. Just before reaching the summit, hikers will climb up 336 wooden steps. It has been a few years since we have hiked this mountain. The distance wasn't bad, just 2.6 miles. I had forgotten the "strenuous" part though. Liam was such a trooper he only complained once! I complained more then he did. Of course, I did have a baby strapped to my back. That's a good excuse, right?

taking a break


feeding Ez

Michael carried Sutton about 95% of the time. Up hill her legs were too tired and down hill she kept saying "too bumpy" when she tried to walk.


Ezra at the summit


After lunch at the summit


the view


on the way home we made a short stop at my favorite fabric store. everyone hung out in the car while i did a quick bit of shopping.


the boys


Sutton fell asleep. Michael took pity on her neck breaking position and tied her head back with my hoodie. she slept like that for a while.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! Now that would be so fun! Ezra is so big!! What a beautiful boy! I love the picture of your family, and Sutton's hoodie wrapped head is priceless! Very creative Michael.

Molly said...

I miss the mountains in NC. I love the hoodie wrap. Is is just me or once they hit booster seats is the neck support completely gone? And on a side note, once we had 3 kids I really felt like a family. That struck me as I looked at the picture of your whole crew. You're a big ol' family now!

JGR said...

What a nice day, looks like you all had a lot of fun! Poor Sutton, I hope she didn't wake with a pain in her neck - although that photo did make me laugh! :o)

merathon said...

where was that hike? looks like a lot of fun-- i LOVE hiking but haven't been since kendall was a baby!

also, i like that you changed your settings so that the whole post appears in bloglines now instead of just the first few lines!

Andi said...

Okay, the last picture is hilarious! I'm so jealous, it snowed a bunch here yesterday. I think we need to start taking some hikes as soon as it is nice out!

jessie said...

I LOVE the head-wrap! LOL! I always feel so sorry for the boys when they fall asleep in that position - next time I'm going to have to try Michael's technique. :) (Sutton looks like such a little person now instead of a toddler! When did she grow up?!)

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful hike!! don't you just LOVE spring?! these pictures are so cute, you have such a beautiful family!

The Kerr Family said...

Looks like you all had a great time. Love Michael's ingenuity! We're going to have to steal that one. Congrats to you for hiking up the trail with Ezra on your back.