Monday, July 25, 2011

on names and popularity

A few years ago there was gossip that Britney Spears named her son Sutton. I was bothered for a few reasons;
1. I didn't want my daughter associated in any way with B. Spears
2. I feared the mass majority would now consider the name 'Sutton' a boy name and our Sutton would be teased.
3. We have intentionally chosen not popular or trendy names for our children. They aren't made up or spelled funky but their names are unique and not commonplace. I thought at the time if B. Spears named her son Sutton it would be come popular.

Luckily it was a rumor and she named her son something else.


We have seen Liam's name rise in popularity. Back in 2003 when he was born, I actually had a few people ask me if I had made up that name. At the time 'Liam' was ranked #115 in popularity now it's #30 according to The Baby Name Voyager. Although Baby Center says Liam was #10 in 2010. We chose this name for Liam mainly because it was Michael's favorite boy name for years. I was unsure until Michael and I watched a movie titled Liam. It told the story of an adorable, sweet little boy who, during the Depression, was sent to Catholic school. The nuns were so cruel and the boy so sweet and vulnerable that it endeared the name to me.



Ezra's name is currently ranked #243 and that is that names all time high. I doubt it will ever become super popular. It's definitely an old fashioned man name but our little Ezra wears it well. After we chose this name we found that it can be found on both sides of our family tree. I think my mom had an uncle named Ezra and a more distant relative of Michael's shares the same name.



Gemma is ranked #449 and doesn't show up on the charts at all before 2008. Of all our children's names I would guess that Gemma would be the one to become trendy or popular (despite it's current low ranking) because it is so similar to 'Emma" which has been on the top ten baby name lists for a decade or more.
 


I have always thought that the name Sutton is the least likely to become popular. It is currently not ranked in the top 1000 names in any time period- it's so unique it's not even on the charts! We first became introduced to the name when we saw Sutton Foster on Broadway in Thoroughly Modern Millie. She is a beautiful, talented woman and the name left an impression on us. So in 2006 when we found out we were having a daughter we decided to name her Sutton, against the advice of our families. Occasionally, Uncle Andy will still call her Mutton Face Wood-turds. I laugh then give him the death stare. :)

This has all been on my mind because last night the tv was on it was a commercial break so I wasn't really paying attention but I thought I heard the name Sutton. I looked up the show the commercial was advertising. Sure enough...

The Lying Game
The show follows Emma, a kind-hearted foster kid who learns she has an identical twin sister, Sutton. Sutton, unlike Emma, was adopted by wealthy parents and is seemingly living an ideal life. After their initial meeting, Sutton talks Emma into stepping into her life for a few days while she pursues a lead on the mysterious identity of their birth mother.  After Sutton inexplicably fails to return to the girls’ designated meeting place, Emma must decide whether to come clean about her identity and risk her own safety in the hope of uncovering her twin sister's whereabouts, along with the truth about why they were separated in the first place.

I am not sure anything will skyrocket a name to popularity as well as a show about pretty teenagers. Twilight, anyone?

3 comments:

jen said...

hmm...If the show is good, the name will probably become more popular. If the show mostly tanks, I think you'll be okay.
I would have thought Gemma would be the most popular of the 4 because in the blogger world, I have read 3-4 other blogs where they recently had girls and named them Gemma. But I think you're pretty safe that none of your children's names will become "Jennifers".
Also - that movie looks adorable, I have added it to our Netflix instant queue.

Molly Krauss Smith said...

I love, love, love your kiddos' names. Always have. Especially that little Sutton. Give them a squeeze for me!

Stephanie said...

Erin, I can't believe how big and adorable your kids are now. Such a cute family. Miss you guys.