In just over three hours we were able to cut, lay and caulk all the baseboards in the kitchen, family room, front room, dining room and entry (every room that needed it). I am amazed at what a difference it makes when you don't have dry wall showing and a gap between the wall and the floor. It looks so... finished!
Back in 2006 we bought reclaimed hardwood floors from a skating rink the was being torn down. We laid the floors in August, it took about a month of working nights. Then in September '06 we hired someone to refinish the floors (there are just somethings that you shouldn't do yourself!) while we were on vacation. So yeah, it is been over two years!
Just to re-emphasize the amount of time that it has taken us to get around to doing baseboards here is a side by side comparison for you:

my how they have grown!
and just for fun here are a couple of videos, then and now.
then: we had all of our furniture crammed into our bedroom. our mattress was on the floor in Sutton's room, she was about 3 months old. Everything was torn apart and the house was dusty and littered with tools. We lived like that for over a month.
now: life is much easier when your not living in a construction site! I think we were crazy to undertake such a huge project with a newborn but it worked out really well. I am so happy with how it turned out and so thankful to be officially done with the floors. Even if it did take two years! Actually, the baseboards need to be painted (they came primed) and the formal living and dining room need shoe moulding but I am going to give myself another two years to get around to that :) haha.
thanks for your help Jon and Jen!

9 comments:
You are welcome!! Maybe when you're due to give birth to baby #4, we can gift you painting and shoe molding. JK. :) It looks awesome! We also work for birthdays, holidays and home cooked meals.
hooray! i'm going to have to come over and check it out!
okay, so i've been meaning to call you. of course, since you weren't at church, everyone thought you'd had your baby. but since you're posting about floors and not childbirth, i'm assuming that's not true??
What a huge difference! It looks fantastic! You guys did a great job and I'm forever impressed you did it all with a newborn, like you said! :)
Your house looks beautiful!
Hurray! Congratulations! I am sure it brings much satisfaction to have it done before the baby is born. I hate remodeling/construction projects. Our addition began when Luke was a few months old, and we still have missing base boards is some rooms. Luke is almost 4:)
Your home is beautiful and so inviting!
thanks everybody.
and no, no baby yet. my due date was monday (I thought it was tuesday, oops!) i am hoping this baby comes soon because I so don't want to be induced again!
how long will they let you go before they make you get induced? let's hope that baby just comes TODAY!
I think that's such an awesome present! Can't wait to hear about baby #3!
I love, love, love your home! You two have done such fantastic updates...the kitchen, the floors, the paint...all looks gorgeous! And you've managed to stick together through it all (we fought the most during home remodels!)
Good luck with birthing this week...I hope it'll be this week! I'm hoping for a girl named Janelle!
Post a Comment